Friday, October 7, 2011

Gastropods of the world!

Anyone reading this blog may have noticed a bit of a delay since my last post. I was accepted to the University of Glasgow in Scotland and have spent the last few months working on packing up my life and moving it to the UK. Now I am settled in and back to slug watching.

Before leaving, I began to catalogue the variety of gastropods I found while jogging and hiking through the rainforets around Seattle with the intention of identifying them and posting pics on this blog. Although there are several identification guides available on line, I found them a bit cumbersome to use. The OSU Slug/Snail identification page has good descriptions, however it does not cover all of the species I have been finding on my walks. The Identification Guide of Land Snails and Slug of Western Washington  created by T. Peirse (et all) at The Evergreen State College (omnia extares!) has a much wider variety of spices. However, I found the flow of the site a bit difficult to use and often did not actually help me identify my mystery snails. Due to this I have decided to make my own identification guide as part of this blog.

My move put that project on hold so I don't have as many pictures from WA state as I would have liked.  However as the damp weather of the UK provides an ideal habitat for gastropods and are very easy to find. I have collected one set of pictures from a hike in Lockwinnoch and will attempt to identify these in the same manner as the US species.

Below are the sets of pictures from both the US and UK. As each species is identified, a profile will be created with pictures and identification information. Hopefully with more expeditions I will be able to find more species. As I do not claim to be an expert in this, if anyone who knows what they are talking about has any corrections to my identifications, please let me know!

Enjoy!

Slugs and Snails of Washington State














Slugs and Snails (and friends) of Scotland








No comments:

Post a Comment