Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Notes to Self on Geologic Time : Part 1 - Intro

Long long ago before I began studying biology/chemistry, when I was still just and art student who thought science was kinda cool, there were three main stages in the development of life. They all came from the ground and go as follows:

0) nothing
1) primordial goo
2) dinosaurs
3) mammals (us)

I wasn't raised in a cave or some hard line religious type. It just wasn't relevant to my world of Weezer and coloring my shoes (and hair) with pink sharpie. Eventually I grew up, put art on the back burner for a while and took my first bio class. This introduced me to the concept of geologic time and development of the flora and fauna inhabiting all 4 dimensions of the last 650 million years on the planet we call home.

I will be going off to the University of Glasgow in the fall and need to brush up on the all these ages of time. The next series of blogs will go over the last 4.5 billion years one period at a time with a focus on the development of the flora and fauna of each.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment